This 2016 season, we discovered a variety of artifacts and ecofacts that can be used to better understand the site.
Diary of Discoveries
- Thursday, October 6th: Second to last day of fieldwork
- On this day, we got to move onto the actual excavation stratigraphic unit, 1215. On this day, we came across charcoal, glass, pottery, metal pieces, fabric.
- Tuesday, October 11th: Last day of fieldwork
- During this excavation, we found more charcoal, pottery, and metal pieces. We also found pieces of the furnace, a metal button-like shape, and a small bone.
- 14 Pottery
- 6 Pieces of slag
- 1 Lithic (white stone)
- 99 Brick pieces
- 9 Nails
- 9 Pieces of Metal Other than Nails
- 3 Glass pieces (3 vessels)
- 2 Coal pieces
- 1 piece of Fabric
- 20 Charcoal fragments
- 1 piece of bone
- 1 piece mortar
Based on this assemblage, we can suggest that the West Room on Stouffer Farm was most likely a blacksmith shop.